The perfect Monday night dinner for the family! Our favorite way to eat jackfruit is as the meat replacement in Pulled BBQ Sandwiches. I use canned young jackfruit from Trader Joes. Jackfruit doesn’t have much protein even though its used as a meat replacement but does have B6 vitamins and is loaded with potassium. Depending on the ripeness, jackfruit can be used for different things, including sweet or savory dishes. This is the perfect meal when you are low on time and need something that fills up the family!
This is what your jackfruit will look like out of can. You want to drain the brine from the fruit and then shred the fruit to resemble pulled pork pieces. I use my hands to shred the fruit, I find this is easier than using a fork or any utensil. The jackfruit is a super versatile food, you can shred it up the same way and season up like taco meat for shredded tacos.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 5 minutes
For the bbq jackfruit
1 20oz Can of young jackfruit
1 cup Favorite BBQ sauce
Favorite rolls or sandwich bread
For the slaw mix
8oz coleslaw mix
2 Tablespoon vegan mayo (“just mayo” or “Veganaise”)
1 Tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon Siracha sauce
salt and pepper for coleslaw
1 28oz can of baked beans
- Drain and squeeze brine from jackfruit
- shred with hands or two forks
- Add the cup of BBQ sauce and set bowl aside (if you want it more saucy then add more 🙂 )
- in a separate bowl add slaw mix as well as mayo, mustard, siracha and salt & pepper
- heat and serve beans in a glass container
- to cook jackfruit, you can heat up on the stove top to cook in some of the flavors or if you are in a hurry you can put the jackfruit sauce mixture into a microwave safe bowl, cover with a paper towel and heat up in 45second intervals.
- stir mixture between intervals
- serve on your favorite rolls and enjoy with the coleslaw and beans
Try this dish with your family and let me know how you like it! Follow our blog for more vegan family friendly recipes!